Our dispute resolution practice assists our corporate and commercial clients through mediation, arbitration and other alternative dispute and resolution processes, disputes before regulatory authorities, as well as conventional litigation.
We work with clients to develop a strategy that is efficient, commercial and cost-effective, and actively promote alternative dispute and resolution processes including roundtable discussions, mediation, conciliation and arbitration, in an effort to avoid the time consuming and costly exercise of litigation.
Some of our transactions include
- Representing the local subsidiary of a multinational commodity trading company, which operates in the petroleum downstream sector, in commercial debt recovery actions. We are currently handling a portfolio in excess of US$5Million in the High Courts throughout the major regional capitals of Ghana, where the subsidiary has a presence.
- Advising and representing a joint venture company in the petroleum sector in the settlement of a contractual dispute in excess of US$2million before the commercial court. Our role was to ensure that the dispute was settled amicably between the Parties, in record time with minimal disruptions to the continued operations of the joint venture.
- Acting for a mid-sized life and savings insurance company, majority owned by a pan-African private investment company, in its legal and regulatory compliance matters. We are currently representing the Company in resolution of its labour and other disputes of a commercial nature, arising from the course of its business.
- We have recently been engaged by a global research and consultancy company, which publishes investment and economics reports in many countries including emerging markets, to recover its overdue commercial debts in Ghana. Our activities include pre-litigation negotiations to achieve settlements, which accord with commercial reasoning.
- Representing a large sized corporate company in the hospitality sector in a tax appeal against an assessment order from the revenue authority. Our role included submission of the relevant documents in the appropriate forum, in the form required by our procedural rules and advising the company on the other conditions for the appeal process.
- Representing an international hotel chain, in recovery actions involving tenancy disputes and lease claims relating to the rental of its commercial property.
- Acting for an international free zone company, trading in Dubai, that purchases gold from licensed miners, for a breach of contract claim in excess of US$2.3million dollars. Our role includes an enforcement action of the advance payment and performance guarantees issued to the defaulting parties, in favour of our client.
- Defending an export credit agency, in the High Court, in a post judgement action relating to auctioned property.
Gwendy Miranda Bannerman